Truth is, I'm a TOTAL romantic. Can't help myself. I love love. It's honestly the world's biggest shame, because I've never been able to participate, but it doesn't stop me from snuggling up for even the sappiest chick flicks at times.
So without further ado, here are the Romance/Chick Flick movies I can't live without in honor of Valentine's Day! *
*Note: The Holiday and While You Were Sleeping will not be listed here after being listed in the Christmas edition...just know they are also a part of this list.
1. You've Got Mail
- There's nothing like hearing those three little words....You've...Got...Mail. Ugh, this movie so encapsulates the 90s AND it's just wonderful. I love it. So. So. So. Much. My favorite Meg Ryan Tom Hanks film.
2. Sabrina (the Harrison Ford version)
- Do not get me started on that "other" version. I don't care if it came first. At least the 90s Sabrina had likable characters.
- Harrison Ford changes it up, no longer being the sexy Indiana or smouldering Han Solo...instead he shows his nerdier side as he falls for Sabrina fair. I can watch this movie over and over and over again.
3. He's Just Not That Into You
- I think this movie gets me because it's the world's biggest hypocrite, but it has a lot of great acting during the process.
- What other movie tells you the whole way through "Everything they tell you in romance tales is just creating a fantasy that will never happen to you"
- and then they have all of those fantasies happen...
- "I thought I wasn't the exception to the rule." "You are my exception."
- "I never want to get married. I don't believe in marriage." *20 minutes later in film* "Will you marry me?"
4. Pride and Prejudice
- Whether it's Keira Knightley or BBC...I love them both. Then again, I've always been an Austen girl (book wise)
- Austen, forever ruining women. "Where's my Mr. Darcy??"
- If you love Austen and haven't seen this movie yet...DROP EVERYTHING AND GO NOW! One of the greatest, funniest, most charming films of all time. ALL TIME! (okay, Kanye...sit down. Nobody asked you)
6. Princess Bride
- All right, if we're talking amazing romantic comedies...we know this one (also) takes the cake. It's the most quotable movie I have ever seen. It's not only a wonderful movie, but an amazing book.
- Anybody want a peanut?
- He's mostly dead.
- RUBBISH! PUCE! MUCK! SLIME! BOO!
7. Decoy Bride
- Hilarious. Scottish. Mixups. David Tennant (and I'm not even a Dr. Who fan). It's all good when watching Decoy Bride. It's on Netflix Instant. Go now.
8. Ever After
- No list could be complete without some sort of Cinderella tale on here.
- Realistic, as if an actual happening of the fable.
9. French Kiss
- "You people make my ass twitch."
- Nuff said ^
- PS...it's hard to find GIFs for this one. Don't go searching. So much yuck.
- Because who doesn't love a satirical look at society while rehashing an Austen story?
- Like, as if!
- Plus, early days of Paul Rudd
11. Jane Austen Book Club
- Again. Austen. This time a group of women (and one man) reading her books and having their own love stories along the way.
- This time a Shakespeare rehash...
- A funny one
- With the Late Heath Ledger and young Joseph Gordon Levitt
- And funny
- Did I say funny?
13. Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- One of my all time, favorite movies. So it should really go on all lists that are applicable. Seriously. Top 5 material here.
- Kristen Wiig is delightful in a different kind of role for her.
- Ben Stiller is amazing as both director and actor
- Scenery is TO DIE FOR
- And it's more of an adventure story...so there's that.
- Oh! And the soundtrack is amazing.
14. Star Wars
- Another one of the greats (three of the greats?). This trilogy is a fantasy wonderland and has one of the best love stories ever...
- A princess and a smuggler? Not terribly original...
- A kick-ass princess? Getting better.
- Who knows how to get under the guy's skin? Okay.
- And the guy is actually noble? Love it.
- I love you.
- I know.
- Also I might be in love with Luke Skywalker (and Han. So what!)
Sleepless in Seattle
Sense and Sensibility