Saturday, June 22, 2013

Insignificantly Significant

There's something about living in my state.  If you never been there, I can explain but I'm not sure you'll care.

I've been to several other states around our country, and other countries on top of that.
Yet nowhere...

Nowhere...

Has the skies we do.

The world is large and vast and covered with land.  It seems everywhere else I've been that's been the biggest factor - the land. Everywhere you look you see tall, green trees (Tennessee); big brown hills and desert 'beauty' (Arizona); tropical plants and vast bodies of water (Hawaii).

In Our state, we have beautiful land, but it isn't the first thing you see.  When you walk outside the greatest, grandest, and sometimes most stunning feature is our sky.

It's so large you feel like you'll never be able to see it all, yet at the same time - when the clouds are just right - you feel like you can reach up and touch it...maybe brush a few away and see the vast universe beyond.

It's storming today.  The grey, billowing clouds are my favorite.  There's something MASSIVE and POWERFUL about them. They're a reminder that this world, this universe, is even bigger. A reminder that the world doesn't revolve around me (though I wish it did).

It can make a girl feel insignificant.

But the best part about them, for me personally, is how they make me feel insignificantly significant.

I am staring at the sky that's been there since God put it there in the beginning.  I am staring at the amazing hugeness that is our life.
There are many others all around the world seeing pieces and patches of it as well (and in some places, just as much as I see).
We're all seeing it together.  We all pass through time in a blink, some of us without making a dent large enough in history to be remembered.
We're insignificant.

And yet...

And yet I know I can walk into my parents home, and to them I am significant.
I know I can run and embrace my best friend because to her I am significant.
I know that to God above I matter. To Him I am (undeservedly) significant.

In a world where I am nobody...I only need to be somebody to a few people. It only takes a few to make me feel like I am loved, special....kind, important, smart.

We can sometimes strive for importance and significance. We can fight, claw, cheat, steal, whatever we have to do to get ahead.
But you know what?
I don't want that.
I don't want to be North West - infamous baby at only a few days old.  I don't want the pressure of the world always staring down on me as I strive to be just as "significant" as my parents.

I want to be me. I want to be loved by those who I have been blessed to have in my life.

I want to be insignificantly significant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GLORIOUS! It's on my bucket list... meet me 'neath that big Montana sky!

Unknown said...

I'll see you then, Donna. It seriously is wonderful :)